The La Salle Brothers came to Bacolod City in response to the ardent invitation of the Negrenses who felt a great need for the type of education the Brothers were offering. Through a ten-hectare lot donated by the late Don Alfredo Montelibano, Sr., La Salle came into existence.
In July 1952, with 189 graders ranging from Prep to Grade 5 and a teaching force of seven, La Salle College-Bacolod formally opened. Three of the pioneering faculty members were Br. Dennis of Mary, Br. Hugh Wester and Br. V. Felix Masson. The fourth Brother, Br. Gratian of Mary, joined in September of the same year. The following year, Grade 6 was added.
During the school year 1952-1953, the parents requested for the opening of the high school department. Thus, on February 9, 1952, cement footings were poured for the first high school wing.
With 24 male first year high school students, the school year 1953-1954 opened. At first, the Brothers accepted 56 student boarders under the supervision of Br. Gratian Murray.
In its second year of operation La Salle had 453 boys in the three new departments.
School year 1977-1978 marked the Silver Jubilee of the founding of La Salle Bacolod. Numerous activities were held to commemorate fittingly the foundation. In 1978 the Grade School received its first PAASCU Accreditation, while the High School received its own in 1980.
At the end of school year 1984-85, the institution decided to place under one administration the elementary and secondary levels to compose the basic education program for La Salle-Bacolod, thus the birth of the La Salle-Bacolod Integrated School.
The effort was a practical move since it was felt that the elementary and secondary levels should progressively and uninterruptedly form one learning continuum.
Since 1986, La Salle has accepted as part of its clientele, Kinder and Prep girls. It was not until 1987, however, that the Board of Trustees officially handed its own decision to turn coed both the grade school and the high school. The inclusion of girls in the once exclusive school for boys has not drastically changed the school’s mission statement. The school’s objectives remain basically the same. However, changes have been made regarding the manner by which these objectives are attained. In a nutshell, the objectives can be summarized into: 1) wholistic development, 2) social awareness and involvement, 3) academic excellence, 4) concern for the poor, 5) love for one’s country and being a Filipino.
July 5, 1988 was another milestone for La Salle as it marked its elevation to a university status.
The effort to attain university status was initiated in 1982 by Br. President Rafael Donato, FSC. It was continued by his successor Br. Victor Franco, FSC and was completed by Br. President Rolando R. Dizon, FSC.
The University of St. La Salle became the first institution to be elevated as a university after the EDSA revolution and also the only one under President Corazon C. Aquino’s administration.
In June 1994, a three-storey high school building was erected, totally separated from the college department.
In 1997, both Elementary and High School levels were granted reaccreditation status by PAASCU.
In 1998, Dr. Myrna E. Juplo became the first lay woman Principal in the Integrated School. Dr. Juplo succeeded Br. Gus Boquer, FSC who became President of the University until June 2007.
In 2002, both Elementary and High School levels were granted reaccreditation status by PAASCU.
On July 5, 2002, the University of St. La Salle celebrated its 50 years of existence in Negros with the theme “Keeping Faith.”
After the retirement of Dr. Myrna E. Juplo in 2005, a new principal was appointed in the person of Mrs. Ma. Del Pilar M. Limas.
In schoolyear 2007-2008, Br. Raymundo B. Suplido, FSC Ph.D. became the 10th President of USLS.
In schoolyear 2008-2009, the school undertook for the first time, the 1st PAASCU Basic Education Accreditation for the Grade School and High School. Through the concerted efforts of the administration, faculty and staff, the students and their parents, the Integrated School earned for itself a clean reaccreditation status ready for Level 3 accreditation after five (5) years. Having satisfactorily met the standards of excellence by the PAASCU, the IS continues to be relevant to the needs of its growing clientele and the community it serves.